Welcome Guys, Today I’ll be sharing with you that how to make Indian Fry Bread Recipe. Different versions and variations of fry bread recipes you use them as Navajo fry bread recipe or you can go sweet.
This fry bread is a high-calorie low ingredient recipe and even easy to cook.
perfect bread recipe for any occasion or special events. In India, many people make this recipe festive. They use it as a sweet.
And also don’t forget to check out our other bread recipes
Indian Fry Bread Recipe
This Indian fry bread recipe is quite simple and delicious. Some people just eat because it is so tasty.
It starts with 4 cups of all-purpose flour. To that, we’ll add 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder, then we’ll give this a quick stir to evenly disperse those ingredients.
Once that’s mixed together we’re going to slowly add in about 1 1/2 cups of hot water. We’ll slowly work this together into a dough.
Now as you work it you may need to add in a little bit more water as you go in order to form a soft, sticky dough ball, and at some point, you’ll probably need to switch to your hands to knead the dough all together.
Now you should end up with a dough that’s super soft and stretchy and it will be a little bit sticky.
pour a little bit of vegetable oil into a clean bowl, and then coat the dough ball with that oil and pour a little more on top if you need it.
The oil will prevent the dough from sticking to the bowl and keep it from drying out.
Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest for about 2 hours.
This is not a risen dough so this is not rising time, this is resting time. Resting allows for the formation of gluten to give you a nice chewy dough.
Pour enough vegetable oil, shortening or corn oil into a large pot.
To cover the bottom with about 2 inches of oil, then get that heating to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, which is our optimal temperature for frying.
Once your oil is hot enough you’ll pinch off golf ball-sized pieces of dough, then you’ll start stretching it out into a large oval or circle.
Some methods have you poke a little hole in the center, but that’s not how I make mine, but you can definitely do that if you’d like to.
You want to stretch your dough nice and thin, and this doesn’t have to be pretty or perfect or even. It’s just a quick stretch.
Then gently lay the dough down into the hot oil.
Let it fry for a minute or 2 until it’s golden brown, and then give it a flip and let it fry on the other side until it’s golden brown as well.
Then once it’s done, remove it from the hot oil and transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Continue this process with all of your remaining dough.
I get about 10 pieces of fry bread with this recipe, but of course how many you’ll get out of it will depend on the size of each of your pieces of fry bread.
Frybread should be crispy on the outside, you can hear that crackle, then when you tear into it it should be soft and chewy on the inside.
In the American Southwest, you can serve these up a savory style, and make yourself some Navajo tacos.
Or you can go sweet and go with powdered sugar and honey or honey butter.
you can let us know in the comments how you enjoy it where you live.
Indian Fry Bread Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ tablespoons baking powder
- 1 ½ or more cups hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- In a large bowl mix together all purpose flour, salt and baking powder.
- Once that's mixed together add a cup of hot water. mix it with your hand or spoon until combined. Now end up with a dough that's super soft and stretchy and still a little bit sticky.
- pour a little bit of vegetable oil over the dough to prevent from sticking to the bowl and keep it from drying out.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let it rest for about 2 hours.
- This is not a risen dough so this is not rising time, this is resting time.
- Now, Pour enough vegetable oil into a large pot to cover the bottom with about 2 inches of oil, then get that heating to 350 degrees Fahrenheit,
- Pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough then start stretching it out into a large oval or circle.
- Then gently lay the dough down into the hot oil.
- Let it fry for a minute or 2 until it's golden brown, and then give it a flip and let it fry on the other side until it's golden brown as well. transfer it to a paper towel-lined plate or rack to cool.