Welcome, today we are making an American-Chinese classic called Keto General Tso Chicken.
It’s a delicious deep fried chicken that is sautéed in a lovely gravy of soy sauce some rice wine and it’s just delicious.
In fact, it reminds me quite a bit of a lot of Indian-Chinese dishes. This is a kind of Keto Sweet and Sour Chicken.
You should also check my other chicken recipes:
Let’s have a quick look at our ingredients of our Keto General Tso Chicken,
Chicken: A very good source of protein and loved by everyone.
Garlic and Ginger: Basic yet very commonly used ingredients/spices almost in all-over the world.
Eggs: Again a very high source of protein and used in every part of this world.
Soya sauce: It is used in every chine cuisine and has a very sour taste.
Rice Wine Vinegar: A kind of vinegar used for cooking which adds sour and sweet taste, enhancing the taste of the recipe.
Psyllium Husk: It is a form of fiber made from plant husk and it is commonly known as Laxative. It has many benefits which are perfectly explained on HEALTHLINE.
Products and ingredients I have used are mentioned below:
- Chopping board: Made of high-quality teak wood, easy to clean and maintain.
- Knife: Made of high-quality steel with an ultra-sharp edge.
- Mixing bowl: Perfect for mixing, serving, and storage purpose.
- Plates: Microwave, Dishwasher & Freezer Safe. Made of durable porcelain.
- Frying pan/skillet: Perfect for deep frying, heats quickly and evenly.
- Skimmer: Perfect for deep frying, easy to clean, and store.
- Fry-pan: Sturdy stainless steel handle clad with stay-cool, non-slip silicone.
- Serving bowl: Made of porcelain, simple, and elegant design.
- Rice wine vinegar: Enhances the flavor of the recipe.
Let’s get started with our recipe.
The first thing we are going to do is take two spring onions and separate them into the bottom half and the top half. The bottom half is the white part along with these sort of thick stock and I’m gonna just chop that up. Then I’m also gonna chop up the green part of it and I’m gonna set them aside separately.
The next thing to do is prepare our chicken and for this recipe I am using is boneless skinless chicken thighs. And you just want to cut them up into small bite-sized chunks that’s it nothing fancy nice bite-sized pieces.
Once the chicken has been prepared it’s time to marinate it. And I’m gonna start with some salt, some black pepper, half a tablespoon of sesame oil, half a tablespoon of rice wine vinegar, half a tablespoon of soya sauce, half a teaspoon of baking powder and I’m going to crack one egg into that.
And, then you can use your hands and get down and dirty with this chicken or you can be like me and use a spoon and give it all a mix. Of course it takes a little more time when you’re using a spoon. Anyway that’s pretty much it let the chicken marinate for about 20 minutes.
Now, normally you would coat the chicken in white flour or corn flour and deep fried but we are going to be using psyllium husk instead because that is keto friendly. So set up a little breading station put your chicken pieces individually into your psyllium husk and bread it now.
I know this looks like it might be a lot of work for a lot of chicken but trust me you’re going to get a beautiful even coating on each piece of chicken. So just take the chicken, put it in the psyllium husk, put some over it, and you know how to coat the chicken.
If you’re lazy like me and can’t be bothered to individually coat every piece of chicken, you can just throw some psyllium husk into the entire bowl and give it all a good mix.
And keep adding more psyllium husk if you need, so that the chicken pieces are well coated. And don’t stress too much about the amount of psyllium husk going in there because honestly, it’s just fiber powder at best you will have a fantastic bowel movement the next morning.
So finally it doesn’t matter which way you breaded your chicken it’s pretty much ready to go into the deep fryer.
And of course, get your oil nice and hot and once it is ready put that chicken into the hot oil to deep fry. Yes, you can also pan-fry this or shallow fry it if you like but I think deep-frying is the way to go. And of course, the normal tips apply; don’t crowd the fryer, do it in batches, and keep the oil at a not too hot temperature because you don’t want the outside to cook too fast and the inside to be raw.
What oil do I use for deep-frying?
What oil I am using to fry and what I would recommend you do is that you try and get some lard because that’s great for deep frying, you can also use light olive oil. If you like or you could also use avocado oil, it’s completely up to you.
Now since we’ve cut the chicken into not very large pieces, they won’t take that long to cook. So let them fry till they’re nice and golden-brown and once they are done stare at them for a second and appreciate the beauty of it and then take it out and set it aside to cool down preferably on a paper towel and of course then you want to fry the next batch of chicken.
Now it’s the time to make Keto General Tso Chicken Sauce.
I’m gonna set them aside on a paper towel and the next thing I’m going to do is get my frying pan on the stove and I’m going to heat up some chicken fat. And once the chicken fat is hot, I’m going to throw in the white part of the spring onion I’m also going to throw in some chopped ginger and some chopped garlic and I’m going to give it all a good mix. And now you just want to cook this on a sort of high heat till the garlic starts to brown, and add some dried red chilies and heat them for a few minutes. (You can add spicy chilies if you want a spicy General Tso chicken.)
Once the garlic has turned a nice golden brown, I’m gonna deglaze the pan with some chicken stock, so you can also use some bone broth, you can use the homemade stock, you can use whatever stock you like and into that. I’m going to add a tablespoon of soya sauce, some more rice wine vinegar and some stevia for sweetness now you just want to cook this for a minute or so till the sauce starts to reduce and thicken a little bit.
And once that’s done it’s time to throw in our chicken in and then give it all a good mix. You want the chicken to be coated with that delicious sauce that we were making, so give it all a good mix.
You can use a couple of vogue tricks like me flipping things around make sure you don’t flip the chicken out of the pan.
Anyway once you’ve given it all a good mix and the chicken is well coated we’re gonna finish it with some spring onion greens the ones we had cut and saved up earlier.
And that’s it ladies and gentlemen our Keto General Tso Chicken Recipe, the Keto Chinese Chicken is pretty much ready. So now all you got to do is take a serving dish put some of that chicken in and I’m gonna finish it with a sprinkling of white sesame seeds.
Keto General Tso Chicken
- Chopping Board
- Mixing bowl
- Fry pan
- Serving bowl
- 500 grams Chicken thighs boneless
- 1 tsp Garlic chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger chopped
- 50 grams Spring onion
- 1 Egg
- 2 tbsp Soya sauce
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- Oil/ Lard for deep frying
- 1 tbsp Chicken fat
- ¼ cup Chicken stock
- 4 Red chilies dried
- Stevia or preferred sweetener to taste
- Cut chicken into small bite-size pieces and then add chicken into a mixing bowl. Now season with salt and pepper and marinate with soya sauce, vinegar, sesame oil baking powder, and egg.
- Now individually coat each chicken piece into psyllium husk and then heat oil into the pan and then deep fry chicken pieces into batches.
- Fry chicken for 3-4 minutes until it's nice and golden brown and soft and well cooked from inside.
- After chicken pieces are cooked well from inside, take them out into a plate with a paper towel to absorb the excess oil.
- In a frying pan heat up the chicken fat or any healthy fat(keto-approved) and as it melts, add chopped spring onions, garlic, ginger and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Now add rice wine vinegar, soya sauce, and stevia. Cook until they start to reduce into a sauce and then add dried red chilies, chicken stock, or any stock you like and reduce it to a thick sauce.
- And as the sauce is formed add deep-fried chicken pieces and coat each piece with this beautiful and shiny sauce and glaze it to give the chicken a sweet and sour taste as well as shiny finish.
- Take it into a bowl and sprinkle some freshly chopped spring onions and sesame seeds and it is ready to be served.